NEW PROJECT!!!! Pallas Cat Conservation
As announced on March 16, 2017 , the WCW Pallas Cat Conservation Project is become a reality since we signed the contract with the Zoo de Lyon.
I hear already people saying, but there are pallas cat at Zoo de Lyon. Wrong, they have 2 pallas cat but not visible from the pubic( infortunately) due to the fact that they are looking for fund to build a brand new enclosure.
The WCW Pallas cat Conservation Project could be split in 2 sub-projects:
- Help and support Zoo de Lyon to raise funds for work related to the Pallas cat . Conservation in-situ and ex-situ.
- The other one which is the most important one is to raise funds for the PICA project – Pallas’s cat International Conservation Alliance.
First of all , we would like to thank Zoo De lyon to enable us to use the picures of their pallas cat as our ambassador for our project.
Let’s talk about the PICA Project :
This project was launched in March 2016 by Nordens Ark Zoo, Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, Snow Leopard Triust and Fondation Segré.
- Map Pallas cat distribution more accurately using camera trapping technology
- Gain a better understanding of the veracity of the “recognised” Pallas’s cat sub-species
- Aid field researchers in the provision of educational material for local villages / schools within range countries
- Enhance the global Pallas cat network
- Aid future species assessments through the IUCN/SSC Cat Specialist Group
- Highlight the importance and value of collaboration between zoos and field projects
Currently our projects are focusing in Nepal, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and Iran and are not only raising the profile of the species throughout these countries but giving us a clearer picture of the threats toward Pallas cat populations. As an elusive species that is rarely seen by man our researchers are using trail camera technology to shed new light on Pallas cat behaviour and in turn making future conservation efforts more achievable.
To enable this project to work , and due to the fact that Pallas cat is not iconic as other big cats, that we do not have a lot of information and research on him, we will focus to have camera trap in the area where we think there are some and also in captivity. But also which from my point of view to develop with PICA a standardised education materiel, to run awareness campaign for promoting Pallas cat on the web, social media and why not in school
What you can do to help us to achieve all this with PICA?
- “Adopt” one of our ambassadors ( pictures and stories will come soon)
- Be part of our project
- Help us and talk about Pallas cat around you
Bérengère Desmet (France) is in charge of the new Pallas Cat Conservation Project for Wild Cats World.
For more info, you can visit the web site of WCW and Zoo de Lyon and also the Facebook pages.
Zoo de Lyon : http://www.zoo.lyon.fr/zoo
Wild Cats World : https://www.wildcatsworld.org/
Zoo de Lyon : https://www.facebook.com/#!/ZOO-DE-LYON-page-officielle-117423834961596/?fref=ts
Wild Cats World: https://www.facebook.com/#!/Wild-Cats-World-122586544451718/?fref=ts